lydamorehouse: Ichigo from Bleach looking forelorn (Default)
[personal profile] lydamorehouse
 GUESS WHAT. GUESS WHAT!

I am writing to you on my new (used) computer!  I have named her after my Signal handle during Metro Surge and I love her! I will hug her and squeeze her and call her mine!

Do other people do this? Shawn and I have a long history of (re)naming our computers whenever we have the opportunity. I've had computers named after fictional characters, computers named for how slow their processing power was (Pooh, the computer of Very Little Brain,) and now one to remind me that revolution is possible. 

Also, the very next thing I did was put some stickers on her. I feel like I don't really HAVE a computer these days unless there's some sticker on it that I picked up at a con or at a coffee shop. Shawn noticed that I managed to put my Friends of the Library sticker on just slightly crooked. Exactly enough degrees off that it will drive her crazy to look at it. Oops. Go me! I mean, of course I did. I have been always been haunted by being unable to color within the lines, in a multitude of definitions of such.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the good news. 


Date: 2026-09-17 02:04 pm (UTC)
profiterole_reads: (Default)
From: [personal profile] profiterole_reads
Awesome!

Date: 2026-09-17 04:44 pm (UTC)
lcohen: (confetti)
From: [personal profile] lcohen
\o/\o/\o/!

Date: 2026-09-17 04:48 pm (UTC)
mrissa: (Default)
From: [personal profile] mrissa
Hooray!

I do name my computers/devices, but around a theme. My computers have all been French adjectives, and my ereaders have all been towns in Arizona since the second one (which was Phoenix, having risen from the ashes of my previous Kindle, giving rise to successors Flagstaff and Surprise).

Date: 2026-09-17 05:52 pm (UTC)
carbonel: Beth wearing hat (Default)
From: [personal profile] carbonel
Happy new computer!

I am the anti-Lyda when it comes to personalizing stuff. I don't name them. I don't put stickers on them unless I find one perfect one and will allow that, purely for quick identification.

However, I am moved to requote this from Steven Brust: "I have a tendency not to name things. I call this tendency 'George.'"

Date: 2026-09-19 10:33 pm (UTC)
carbonel: Beth wearing hat (Default)
From: [personal profile] carbonel
I love having an easily identifiable car (a red Honda Fit). There are others out there (two others owned by fellow spinners, in fact), but not enough to be a problem. It's so nice, after having had a silver car and a black car, both of which blended in indistinguishably with all the others.

Date: 2026-09-17 08:09 pm (UTC)
xochiquetzl: Claudia from Warehouse 13 (Default)
From: [personal profile] xochiquetzl
Woohoo!!! Go you with your new computer self!!!

(I also name and also put stickers on my computers.)

Date: 2026-09-17 08:13 pm (UTC)
offcntr: (Default)
From: [personal profile] offcntr
We name computer hard drives, but don't usually refer to the computer by that name. We *do* name our e-readers, for pioneering printers: Aldus (Manutius), Johannes (Gutenberg), William (Caxton), Benjamin (Franklin).

Date: 2026-09-20 03:11 am (UTC)
offcntr: (Default)
From: [personal profile] offcntr
Aldus was an Italian Renaissance printer who invented the octavo-sized book, small enough to fit in your saddlebags--basically, a pocket book. His name was borrowed for the first desktop publishing program, Aldus (later, Adobe) Pagemaker.

Caxton was the first to introduce the printing press to England.

Date: 2026-09-17 08:22 pm (UTC)
pameladean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pameladean
Hooray, computer! I name all my computers the same thing -- it's been a long time since I had more than one -- and am vaguely surprised still when, rarely, I'm reminded what the name is.

I do put stickers on laptops, though.

P.
Edited (punctuation breakdown ) Date: 2026-09-17 08:23 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-19 08:00 pm (UTC)
pameladean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pameladean
That's a great name, I think, and an enduring project. But I'd be worried about tempting fate. Then again, SO FAR, the Tour Guide has landed on their feet.

P.

Date: 2026-09-17 11:37 pm (UTC)
sabotabby: a computer being attacked by arrows. Text reads "butlerian jihad now. Send computers to hell. If you make a robot I will kill you." (bulterian jihad)
From: [personal profile] sabotabby
My computers have all been called Mac the Knife.

Date: 2026-09-21 11:45 pm (UTC)
sabotabby: (lolmarx)
From: [personal profile] sabotabby
That makes two people who think it's funny.

Date: 2026-09-18 11:20 pm (UTC)
elainegrey: Inspired by Grypping/gripping beast styles from Nordic cultures (Default)
From: [personal profile] elainegrey
Congrats!

Date: 2026-09-19 08:54 pm (UTC)
elainegrey: Inspired by Grypping/gripping beast styles from Nordic cultures (Default)
From: [personal profile] elainegrey
Ah, i think that's at the other comment with Mac the Knife, which, yes!
Edited (spelling) Date: 2026-09-19 08:55 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-23 10:27 pm (UTC)
pegkerr: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pegkerr
There are a lot of great stickers at the Tropes and Trifles bookstore, if you're shopping, I just noticed the other day.

Congrats on the new computer!

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    1 23
45 6 78910
1112 1314151617
181920 21222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 23rd, 2026 03:12 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios