lydamorehouse: Ichigo from Bleach looking forelorn (Default)
[personal profile] lydamorehouse
The Driftless Organics people just sent along a list of most-likely candidates for our next CSA box:

Basil - will be separate from the box and will be at your site in a big box: take what you like (within reason) for making pesto or whatever... YUM!
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cippolini Onion
Cucumbers
Collard Greens (they're good, trust me)
Fresh Dill
Fresh Garlic
GreenTop Mixed Beets
Green Beans (lots!)
Pickling cucumbers
Red Cabbage
Red Romaine Lettuce
Yellow Summer Squash

Okay, only one thing I don't know what it is... cippolini onion. Still, it's an onion, how hard can it be to use? And, what the hey! There's a lot more comin' this time. I'm going to have really chow down this next two weeks.

This week we were a little less dilligent with all the produce. I ended up having to compost some cilantro (well, my family and I actually loath it. It tastes like soap to me.) The chard and broad-leaf parsley wilted before I found a use for them, and the last bits of the remaining brocolli head is kind of turning yellow at the tips. There is still a bit of yellow squash in the fridge too, which will probably not get used before more arrives. However, the strawberries lasted less than an hour, and I actually had to buy more romaine lettuce from the store (not as crispy, alas.) There are still a few garlic scapes in their glass, but they still see quite fresh and usable. So not too bad, all and all.

Also, I did finally eat the fennel blub and all as part of dinner last night (Shawn tried it too! Mason, not so much.) "Cooking Light" had a good, easy recipie that included sausage, fennel and onions which I adapted for what I had on hand (no "ziti" in the house, so we just had it over egg noodles.)

Boy, am I glad we're not getting a full share. I'd be looking into canning right about now, otherwise, I think.

Also, just read about this. I didn't know Charles N. Brown very well at all, outside of his editorials which I always read diligently. We passed each other numerous times at WorldCons and the like, hardly saying more than, "hi." I'm still very surprised and shocked at the news of his passing. I'm sure he'll be missed. LOCUS Magazine has been pivotal to my life (and success, I think,) as a professional writer, and I always recommend subcription to my students. I'm glad to hear that LOCUS will continue without him. His friends and family will be in my thoughts.

(I'd say "gucci, gucci" but I don't want to offend anyone.)

Now I'm headed back to "work" after a great weekend up at our friends' cabin (sans friends, strangely enough.) Mason and I spent much time floating in innertubes in the lake, and on Sunday morning in the light rain, we had an awesome kiyak trip around the entire shore of Crooked Lake (yes, my arms are sore, why do you ask?) Mason, I think, would really love a canoe trip sometime. He just lay back on my lap and closed his eyes, listening to the sound of the paddle in the water and feeling the boat glide along the surface. We were eyed by a great blue heron, several nervous duck, a seagull, sandpipers chipping and dashing along the shoreline, and a noisy flock of Canada geese.

It was lovely. It's hard to be back. And I'm belatedly dealing with a very intense critique session from the Wyrdsmiths on my newest young-adult project. Now, suddenly, there's a talking cat. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or not.

cipolinis

Date: 2009-07-13 08:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] reader222.livejournal.com
They are my all time favorite onion - small, sweet, and easy to cook...
Try this:
Potato Salad With Cipollini Onions, Olives and Fennel
SERVES 4 -6

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes, peeled and halved
1/2 lb cipollini onion, peeled
1 cup store low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive, pitted
1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
1 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add potatoes and onion. Cook until onions are golden, about 7 minutes.
Add stock, and season with salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes and onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove potatoes and onions with a slotted spoon. Reserve 1/2 cup cookin liquid.
Combine reserved liquid, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Pour over warm potatoes and onions,. Stir in olives, and let cool completely.
Add fennel and parsley and combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Cipolinis

Date: 2009-07-13 11:06 pm (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
Yes, they are great - little flat Italian onions - I roast them, or put them on the grill whole. Sweet and delicious.

And I agree about cilantro - a little goes a long way.

Date: 2009-07-13 11:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] la-luna-llena.livejournal.com
Driftless must be enormous, because they deliver CSA in Madison, too. It's pretty cool to see a CSA being so successful, actually.

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2 3 4 5678
910 11 12 13 1415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 14th, 2026 10:58 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios